Continuing Education Requirements for Las Guias Per Touring Year (June-May)
Completion of the basic Las Guias training course is considered to be the beginning step in a continuing process of self-education concerning American Indians and their arts, culture and history. In order to continue to provide optimum service to the public attending Tours, Gallery Talks and Speakers’ Bureau events, the guides are expected to continually expand their knowledge in these areas.
Mandatory Attendance is Required at:
- Annual Education Exchange
- All New Exhibit Curator Walk-Throughs or New Exhibit Committee Walk-Throughs
Las Guias Continuing Education Requirements
The Guild Education Council, in conjunction with the museum’s Education Staff, provides continuing education for Las Guias members. Timely activities and opportunities help guides become and remain competent and comfortable in the ever-changing and boundary-free museum environment.
Each Las Guias member is required to earn 3 continuing education credits per touring year (June – May). The continuing education credits do not include the Education Exchange or any New Exhibit Walk-Through.
Approved Continuing Education Credits are limited to 1 credit per activity and include:
- Attendance at Education Programs held on the Heard Campus
- Guild Meeting Lectures
- Heard Guild Trips – One credit per trip.
- Heard Short Course – One credit per course.
- Book Club Discussion
- Off Campus Educational Programs with subject matter pertaining to museum exhibits
- Individual attendance out-of state at American Indian exhibits, museums, and or lectures
All Continuing Education Credits will be recorded through the website no later than May 31st. Las Guias continuing education credits will be administered by the Museum Education Staff, and failure to adhere to the requirements detailed above will lead to suspension from the tour schedule.